Pedestrian Injury Accident
Our Texas personal injury attorneys state that over 110,000 pedestrians are injured every year in the United States, and nearly 60,000 pedestrians are killed. People of all ages are affected by these staggering statistics, but school age children and the elderly are most vulnerable. In fact, 41% of pedestrian fatalities nationwide occur between 3:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon. Sometimes the driver of the vehicle will stop to offer assistance (as is the law); sometimes, walkers, runners, or joggers are victims of "hit and run" incidents.
Our Texas personal injury lawyers warn motor vehicle operators to their responsibility to adhere to the laws of the road and drive in a safe and observant manner at all times. Pedestrians are injured and killed every day due to a driver's negligence and the attorneys with the Rasansky Law Firm wish to help with your personal injury case.
A few of the most common factors contributing to vehicle driver negligence are:
- An inattentive or pre-occupied driver.
- A driver's failure to observe posted speed limits.
- A driver's failure to yield the right of way to pedestrians at marked cross walks.
- A driver negligently turning at an intersection.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Our personal injury attorneys advise that pedestrians who are hit by motor vehicles may have a claim against the driver but they must prove that the driver was negligent and his negligence caused the accident. The very nature of the circumstances (3,000 pound car versus unprotected pedestrian) suggests that the driver would ultimately be responsible; however, this may not be the case as pedestrians must adhere to the laws of the road as well.
Commonly, pedestrians ignore the simple "road rules" such as:
- Pedestrians who ignore the "walk" signal at an intersection.
- Pedestrians who enter a stream of traffic and disrupt the flow.
- Pedestrians who fail to use marked cross walks.
- Pedestrians who "dart" in front of a vehicle.
- Impaired pedestrians.
Have you suffered an injury or accident while walking, running, or otherwise engaged outside? Contact the Rasansky Law Firm online, or call our offices anytime at 1-800-Attorney (1-800-288-6769) to discuss your situation with our experienced pedestrian accident attorneys. In the complimentary consultation, our attorneys will review your experiences and situation and provide you information regarding your legal rights, options, and responsibilities.