WHAT TO DO AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
After a Car Accident: At the Scene
Immediately after a car accident, follow these steps:
- Stop your vehicle, but do not block traffic. Move to the side of the road if possible.
- Turn off your car's ignition.
- Put on your hazard lights or put out other warning signs, such as road flares, if possible.
- Assist anyone who is injured, call for an ambulance if needed
- Call the police to report the accident. Tell the police if there are known injuries
- When the police arrive at the scene of the auto accident, cooperate fully with investigators
- Do not move your automobile or any debris unless instructed to do by the officer.
- Write down the policeman's name and badge number, including the city and department
- If you believe the driver of the other automobile involved in the accident is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, notify the officer
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone, except the investigating police officer, your doctors, your own insurance representatives, and your lawyer
- Make detailed notes of the scene of the auto accident, including full names, addresses, home phone numbers, work phone numbers and license plate numbers of all parties involved. Get the names of any witnesses to the collision. Note specifics about the auto accident, such as date and time, make and model of automobiles involved in the accident
- Make notes of statements made by the driver of the other vehicle involved in the auto accident
- Make a rough sketch of the auto accident, and take pictures with a camera or cell phone if possible
- Exchange drivers license and insurance information with the driver of the other vehicle involved in the accident
After a Car Accident: Left the Scene
Once leaving the scene of a car accident, follow these steps:
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer. The Rasansky Law Firm has lawyers experienced in handling car accident cases, and will provide a complimentary review and evaluation of your particular case.
- Notify your insurance agent.
- See your doctor if there are any injuries or chance for injuries from the accident. A serious personal injury caused by a car accident doesn't always cause immediate pain, but should be checked by a qualified medical doctor.
- Most importantly, keep calm, don't argue, don't accuse anyone and do not admit fault. A car accident can be a traumatic situation, and first reactions may not be best.
Contact the Rasansky Law Firm to speak with our auto accident lawyers about how we can help if you've been injured in an accident involving a car or truck.
We demand strict professional standards. Our Dallas based attorneys are among the finest auto accident lawyers and have resolved many multi-million dollar personal injury cases. We are passionate about our role as advocates and treat our clients with complete respect and compassion. We are committed to utilizing all available legal advantages and tactics to successfully resolve your personal injury claim.