FOOD PRODUCTS

Botulism Risk still high - Castleberry products still on shelves.

Submitted by jrlaw on Mar 9th, 2009

August 3, 2007

Two children in West Texas have been diagnosed with Botulism poisoning as a result of eating Castleberry’s Austex Hot Dog Chili Sauce Original for lunch on June 28. One is now hospitalized in critical condition. The day after eating the tainted Castleberry’s Chili Sauce the two started to show classic signs of Botulism poisoning, including paralysis on both sides of their bodies and eye troubles.

They were placed on breathing machines after confirmation of botulism poisoning. The infected cans were produced on May 7 in the Castleberry’s Georgia canning plant.

E. Coli Risk in Totino's Frozen Meat Pizza Recall

Submitted by jrlaw on Mar 9th, 2009

General Mills Jeno's and Totino's frozen meat pizzas have sickened at least 21 people in 10 states with E. coli. The outbreak linked to the pizzas prompted the company to recall more than 5 million frozen meat pizzas that were distributed throughout the US.

Another Botulism Contamination Scare - French Cut Green Beans

Submitted by jrlaw on Mar 9th, 2009

August 9th, 2007

French-cut green beans manufactured by Lakeside Foods Inc. could be tainted with the toxin that causes botulism.

The affected Lakeside French-cut green beans are sold nationwide under the brands: Albertson's, Happy Harvest, Best Choice, Food Club, Bogopa, Valu Time, Hill Country Fare, HEB, Laura Lynn, Kroger, No Name, North Pride, Shop N Save, Shoppers Valu, Schnucks, Cub Foods, Dierbergs, Flavorite, IGA, Best Choice and Thrifty Maid.

Diacetyl in Microwave Popcorn Discovered Years Ago - Dangers not Publicized

Submitted by jrlaw on Mar 9th, 2009

9-11-2007

Major popcorn manufacturers who use Diacetyl in their popcorn have begun removing the dangerous chemical from their products. This comes more than a year after the EPA produced a study warning of potential health hazards from Diacetyl. Diacetyl was identified at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2002 as the cause of a debilitating and sometimes fatal lung disease among workers in the plants where it is produced.

Bronchiolitis Obliterans or "popcorn lung" is the disease caused by Diacetyl which is used to make popcorn smell "buttery."

Texas Man's Death Linked to Salmonella Outbreak

Submitted by jrlaw on Mar 9th, 2009

Raul Rivera, a 67-year old cancer patient, passed away last week and the Houston health department has stated that the tomato salmonella strain was a contributing factor. Rivera’s wife said he was hospitalized after eating tainted pico de gallo.

Botulism Infection Affects People Who Have Not Eaten Contaminated Food

Submitted by jrlaw on Mar 9th, 2009

Tens of millions of botulism contaminated cans of chili, hot dog sauce, beef stew, hash and other foods, have been recalled but some stores continue to carry the botulism infected canned foods on their shelves simply because they are not aware of the issue. Federal health officials have expressed severe concern that store owners and consumers continue to not realize the danger associated with these recalled canned foods even after the recall was initiated due to a risk of botulism poisoning which can cause severe illness and death.

Syndicate content