Supplemental Security Income Benefits

Social Security Disability Benefits Include Supplemental Security Income The Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, program makes payments to people with low income who are age 65 or older or are blind or have a disability.

The Social Security Administration manages the SSI program. Even though Social Security manages the program, SSI is not paid for by Social Security taxes. SSI is paid for by U.S. Treasury general funds, not the Social Security trust funds The basic SSI amount is the same nationwide. However, many states add money to the basic benefit. You can call the Social Security Administration to find out the amounts for your state.

Do You Qualify for Supplemental Security Income?

Whether you qualify for SSI depends on your income and resources. Income includes Money you receive such as wages, Social Security benefits and pensions. Income also includes such things as food, clothing or shelter. The amount of income you can receive each month and still get SSI depends partly on where you live. You can call the Social Security Administration to find out the income limits in your state. Your spouse's income and resources are figured in when deciding whether you qualify for SSI. If you are younger than age 18, part of your parents' income and resources are considered. If you are disabled but work, the Social Security administration does not count wages you use to pay for items or services that help you to work. For example, if you need a wheelchair, the wages you use to pay for the wheelchair do not count as income when your SSI case is being considered. Also, Social Security does not count any wages a blind person uses for work expenses. For example, if a blind person uses wages to pay for transportation to and from work, the wages used to pay the transportation cost are not counted as income. Rules to Qualify for Supplemental Security Income Rules Governing Qualifications for SSI include:

  • You must live in the United States or the Northern Mariana Islands and be a U.S. citizen or national.
  • If you live in certain types of institutions, you may get SSI.
  • If you live in a city or county rest home, halfway house or other public institution, you usually cannot get SSI. But there are some exceptions.
  • If you live in a publicly operated community residence that serves no more than 16 people, you may get SSI.
  • If you live in a public institution mainly to attend approved educational or job training to help you get a job, you may get SSI.
  • If you live in a public emergency shelter for the homeless, you may get SSI.
  • If you live in a public or private institution and Medicaid is paying more than half the cost of your care, you may get a small SSI benefit.

How to Apply For Supplemental Security Income

If you are applying for SSI, you can find much of the material you need at the Social Security Administration's website, located at Parents or guardians usually can apply for blind or disabled children under age 18. In some cases, other third parties can apply for children.

What You Need to Apply For SSI

When you are applying for SSI, you will need:

  • Your Social Security card or a record of your Social Security number;
  • Your birth certificate or other proof of your age;
  • Information about the home where you live, such as your mortgage or your lease and landlord's name;
  • Payroll slips, bank books, insurance policies, burial fund records and other information about your income and the things you own;
  • The names, addresses and telephone numbers of doctors, hospitals and clinics that you have been to, if you are applying for SSI because you are disabled or blind;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligible noncitizen status.

You also should bring your checkbook or other papers that show your bank, credit union or savings and loan account number so the SSA can have your benefits deposited directly into your account. Direct deposit protects benefits from loss, theft and mail delay. Other Benefits Available You may be able to get Social Security benefits at the same time you are receiving SSI. If you have worked and paid into Social Security long enough, you also may be eligible for Social Security benefits while you are receiving SSI. Retirement benefits can be paid to people age 62 or older and their families. Disability benefits go to people with disabilities and their families. Survivors benefits are paid to the families of workers who have died.

If you think you may qualify for Social Security benefits, call our Disability Lawyers to make sure you receive all the benefits you deserve. Social Security Disability Law Firm Our Law Firm is experienced in the process of applying for Social Security Disability Benefits. We will help you navigate the difficult journey of getting the benefits you deserve. Our lawyers can help you with denied claims, and more importantly, help you meet all the qualification guidelines so we can prove the extent of your disability to the Social Security Administration before your application is denied. We can help you throughout the entire disability benefits application process. Help for Denied Disability Benefits If your claim for Social Security Disability Benefits is denied, our lawyers will present your case at the hearings, providing a strong defense in an effort to reverse a denied claim. Contact The Rasansky Law Firm for help with your Disability Benefits application or to fight a denied claim.


Free Case Evaluation

The Texas personal injury attorneys at Rasansky Law Firm represent clients throughout Texas, including Arlington, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, El Paso, Fort Worth, Garland, Houston, Kauffman, Lubbock, San Antonio and Tyler. Our personal injury lawyers handle a various types of personal injury claims, including automobile accidents, medical malpractice, birth injuries, nursing home abuse, product liability, defective products, premises liability, day care abuse, maritime injuries, workplace injuries, overtime pay, social security disability benefits and securities fraud.

Call (877) 659-1620 or contact us online for immediate assistance with your case today!.