FacebookTwitterGoogle PlusLinkedInYouTubeRSS

Texas Injury Attorney

Call Toll-Free



How to File a Complaint against a Doctor

Submitted by jrlaw on Dec 16th, 2009

There is always a feeling of violation when a doctor betrays your trust. While no one is expected to be perfect, least of all a medical practitioner who deals with thousands of cases a year, doctors are expected to be professional in their work. 

Many medical malpractice cases happen because of professional negligence. Doctors have deliberately taken unauthorized actions, or have failed to take standard actions as set forth by the medical community, when they should know better. 
According to a Heathgrades study, only 74 percent of hospitals surveyed reported “full-implementation of a written patient safety plan and nearly nine percent reported no plan. The study also showed that 250,246 deaths were potentially preventable, and thus related to incidences of medical malpractice.
First, determine the specific error that took place. Just because a doctor seemed abrupt or even “hurried” doesn’t necessarily mean that any medical malpractice occurred. Minor disagreements are best handled by writing a personal letter to the doctor, not involving the board. However, if you know for certain that a doctor mistake was made, and her conduct was egregious and well below the industry standard, then you have every right to complain to the Texas Board. 
The Texas Medical Board provides some basic steps to follow when you are ready to file a complaintagainst a practitioner’s office in the state of Texas.
·         Provide full names and the full address of the practitioner’s office.
·         Provide dates and details of the incident. (Always be specific.)
The Board will acknowledge receipt of your complaint and will investigate the case and inform you every 90 days of the status of your case until the situation is resolved. 
There are three ways to contact the Texas Board regarding a complaint:
·         Call the complaint hotline at 1-800-201-9353 (this is an automated system)
·         E-mail your complaint
·         Fill out a complaint form (it can be requested from the hotline) and mail it to Texas Medical Board, Investigations   Department, MC-263, P.O. Box 2018, Austin, TX 78768-2018
Remember when you file a complaint, it can go a long way in helping you to stop an unqualified doctor from injuring other patients. However, it cannot help you recover compensation for your losses. In order to file a medical malpractice lawsuit you must petition the help of an attorney. The Rasansky Law Firm can help you. Complete our online form or call 1-877-659-1620 and talk to someone about your case.