FacebookTwitterGoogle PlusLinkedInYouTubeRSS

Texas Injury Attorney

Call Toll-Free



Working with a Lawyer on a Cerebral Palsy Lawsuit

Submitted by jrlaw on Oct 28th, 2011

If you're considering suing for a birth injury, you'll want to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. There are time limitations on how long after the fact you can sue, so you have to make sure that you're on the right side of them. If you wait too long, you could miss your chance.

The Beginning

The first thing a lawyer will usually want is a summary of your situation. Sometimes you can give it to them over the phone and sometimes you can contact them online. They'll just want the basics. If it seems like you might have a case, they'll want you to come in. A Texas cerebral palsy lawyer will usually offer this consultation service for free. This is where they'll get more information about your potential claim.

If You Have a Claim

If it seems like you have what it takes to move forward with a cerebral palsy lawsuit, the lawyer may want to enter into a contingency agreement with you. Under this agreement, they'll put your case together and argue it in front of a jury for you. They'll also be willing to sit down and work out a settlement with the other side, if an acceptable one seems to be in the offing. Either way, they won't charge you for any of this unless you actually do win some money. If you win money, their legal fees will be taken out of that sum. This allows you to pursue the case without risk if you should happen to lose.

Going to Court

Going to court can be stressful, but your attorney will help you prepare. If you have to testify, they'll make sure you're ready. You may not have to, in some cases. The attorney will be trying to establish that some sort of negligence on the part of the healthcare provider or the doctor was the cause of your child suffering the injury that ended up with them having CP. If they can establish this to the jury, the jury may offer you an award to your child, your family or both in consideration of your pain and suffering and your expenses. The jury may also turn down the claim.

Talk to an attorney to see if your claim looks good. If it does, you may be able to get substantial assistance paying for the costs of CP from an award or settlement.